Deenspiration | May 25, 2020 | 0
EP 45: Back to Basics – The 5 Pillars of Islam for RE-New Muslims feat. Shaykh Abdullah Oduro
Rediscover the Foundational Principles of Your Deen
In this episode we’re joined by Shaykh Abdullah Oduro from Yaqeen Institute to go ‘back to basics’ and discuss the 5 pillars of Islam; what they they, why they’re important, the wisdom behind them, and the significant role they play in giving our lives structure and balance as Muslims and believers of Allah.
Rather than simply explaining the 5 pillars again, which Shaykh Abdullah did excellently in his Yaqeen series ‘5 Pillars Made Plain (which we HIGHLY recommend!), we discuss how both new Musims and RE-new Muslims (i.e. those born into Islam who are rediscovering their foundational beliefs) should interact with these pillars to ensure their faith in Allah is strong, and they have a complete understanding of their purpose in this life.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- An introduction into Shaykh Abdullah’s life and what he does.
- A brief overview of Shaykh Abdullah’s journey to Islam.
- A summary of the 5 pillars of Islam.
- The wisdom between the 5 pillars, how they are connected, and their importance to our life as Muslims.
- Why the 5 pillars are crucial for the stability of the application of our Islamic faith, and maintaining a structure to our lives as Muslim.
- The difference between theory and application.
- Real talk: the difficulty of keeping up with salah and other physical aspects of worship.
- Advice on how the 5 pillars should be introduced and/or re-introduced to Muslims who have slowly forgotten their true purpose, who they are, and the core principles of their faith.
- Does it really matter if you say “convert” vs “revert”?
- Usman’s experience of his high school friend converting to Islam and the impact it had on him.
- A story of how important it is to have wisdom when speaking to others about Islam.
- How du’a can develop sincerity and pull one out from the depths of doubt regarding their faith.
- A fun rapid fire round with Shaykh Abdullah – facts you didn’t know about him!
- The best advice Shaykh Abdullah has ever received, and the best advice he has for others.
In Collaboration with Yaqeen Institute for Islamic Research
Introducing the ‘5 Pillars Made Plain’ Series
What are the 5 Pillars of Islam?
1. Shahada (the testimony of faith)
2. Salat (prayer)
3. Zakat (alms giving)
4. Sawm (fasting)
5. Hajj (pilgrimage)
Whether you were born to a Muslim family and are rediscovering faith, or you are a new Muslim who has recently accepted Islam, how can you build a strong connection with your new way of life? First step: begin with the basics. In this series, Sh. Abdullah Oduro walks us through the “who”, “what”, “when”, “where”, and “why” of the 5 foundational pillars of Islam. This series is not just for new and renewed Muslims—it is also a vital resource for convert coaches and Imams to use in their work.
About Shaykh Abdullah Oduro
Fellow (Yaqeen Institute for Islamic Research), Head of Convert Resources
Abdullah Oduro is a first generation Ghanian native that converted to Islam in 1997. He graduated from the College of Islamic Law from the University of AlMadinah in 2007. He conducts public speeches, sermons, lectures, and workshops around the US on Islamic Law, self-improvement, and convert life. He is currently the Imam at the Islamic Center of Coppell and Lewisville in Dallas, TX. He resides in Dallas, TX with his wife and four children. Having recently joined Yaqeen Institute for Islamic Research as a Scholar, Shaykh Abdullah leads a team providing unique and comprehensive resources for new Muslim converts and institutional convert care.
Never Miss an Episode!
Did you enjoy this episode? Click below to subscribe to the show on your smartphone and join our family of 1000’s Muslims around the world who love listening and learning. To support us, please consider leaving a positive 5-star review on Apple Podcast/iTunes. Want to have your own voice featured on our show? Click below to leave a 60-second voice recording and we’ll feature you on an upcoming episode.