EP 23: Life, Leadership & Purpose – feat. Zara Mohammed
Muslim Women. Breaking Barriers. Changing Perspectives.
How does a young Muslim woman from Scotland end up as the leader of over 100,000 Muslim students?
In this inspiring episode of ‘Heart 2 Heart’, we’re joined by the wonderful Zara Mohammed – a leader and role model who’s passionate about empowering young voices and supporting women in her community.
In 2016, Zara was successfully elected as the President of the largest umbrella organisation for Muslim students in the UK and Ireland – FOSIS (Federation of Student Islamic Societies) – making her the first female leader of its 100,000+ students.
Founded in 1963, FOSIS is a broad and diverse body that aims to serve and represent Muslim students in further and higher education. It is the backbone of Islamic societies across the country; annually distributing tens of thousands of freshers packs, organising dozens of annual national and international speakers tours, providing outstanding training and continuous support, advice and resources to ISocs / MSAs on a daily basis and organising a variety of socials, dinners, camps and sports tournaments.
Zara sits with Usman to discuss her eventful journey in the lead up to her presidency, her role as a Muslim women in society and as a leader, as well as some of the challenges she faced along the way.
What you’ll learn in this episode:
- Zara’s story on becoming the first ever female President of FOSIS
- What inspired Zara to take on such a leading role as a young Scottish Muslim woman
- The challenges Zara faced on her journey
- The important factors that are involved in leadership, taking risks and helping to change other’s lives.
- The importance of self development, maintaining spirituality and keeping good company.
- Zara’s advice for other young Muslim women with regards to taking on leadership roles and taking risks
- An assortment of random facts about Zara during the ‘Rapid Fire Round’ of questions at the end of the episode
Prefer Audio Only? Listen Below:
Zara is regularly invited to speak on panels, participates in community initiatives, and works towards making a positive impact on society.
Tweet Zara – @ZaraM01 – to tell her what you thought of the episode)
Love this content? Get more blogs, podcast shows & free tools straight to your inbox!
Links and resources:
- The Federation of Student Islamic Societies
- Zara on Twitter
- Zara on Buzzfeed – “Meet The Scottish Muslim Student Shaking Up Islamic Societies In Britain”
Leave a comment!
If you have a question for Zara, any comments on the show or your own inspiring stories, scroll down and share them below!
Subscribe to the show
Enjoy listening to podcasts on-the-go? Subscribe on your smartphone for free to listen anywhere, any time.
Enjoy the podcast show?
If you enjoy lisening to our podcast show and have taken any benefit, we’d be really grateful if you could leave a positive review on iTunes. This not only helps our show to reach more people, but we also love reading your comments! We may also mention your review on a future podcast.
President - Federation of Student Islamic Societies (2016/17)