The Blessed month of Ramadan is most likely your favourite month of the year, and so it should be! It’s the month of the Qur’an, a month full of immense rewards and blessings, a month of forgiveness, a month of community and love, and deep spiritual development. Just amazing!
Now, although many of us look forward to using Ramadan to become the best version of ourselves in terms of our Iman, we tend to forget about, or totally neglect the idea of also becoming the best version of ourselves in terms of our health.
Believe it or not, many of us get FAT during Ramadan. It’s weird, right? A lot of us are fasting around three quarters of the day, yet at the end of the month when we step on the scale, we notice that we’ve added a few pounds. How is that even possible?!
Think about it, what’s the one thing most of us make the mistake of doing in Ramadan? I’ll give you a clue: it happens after Maghrib, usually makes our eyes pop and our mouths water, and usually results in regret a couple of hours later.
That’s right, OVER EATING! We usually eat like crazy once Iftar kicks in and ignore the idea of keeping our diets clean and healthy. So much so that it pretty much defeats the purpose of our fast; we’re supposed to be training ourselves to stop being excessive and to let go of our desires, not quadruple how much we indulge in them!
There is nothing wrong with enjoying a lovely Iftar with the family of course, or perhaps throwing the odd Iftar party with the homeboys and homegirls, but this is where we should learn to be extra careful. The last thing we want is for our Ramadan experience to be ruined and for our abilities to worship to be weakened because we feel sluggish, tired and unfit to perform our ‘Ibaadah.
So… how do you go about learning the do’s and don’ts of nutrition and lifestyle during Ramadan?
In this episode of the Deenspiration podcast, Usman is joined by Amina Khan, founder of the epic health and fitness brand Amanah Fitness. Amina covers a whole lot of practical tips and tricks for how to stay in tip-top shape during Ramadan, ensuring that your body feels nice and energetic throughout the long Taraweeh prayer at night, as well as during the long working day.
What You’ll Learn
- The importance of keeping healthy and fit during Ramadan
- The connection between strong health and spirituality
- Why some of us get fat in Ramadan (and how to control your weight during the Blessed Month)
- The food groups you must rely on during Iftar and Suhoor
- What to eat during Iftar to ensure you remain energetic throughout the night (plus what NOT to eat)
- What to eat during Suhoor to ensure you’re filled with energy throughout the long hours of the day (plus what NOT to eat)
- How to deal with temptations and implement healthy portion control during Iftar parties
- How to organize the food on your plate to ensure you have enough of each essential food group
- How to implement exercise while fasting, and what to do if you don’t have time for a full workout.
- How Amina schedules her days during Ramadan
get the ultimate guide to your healthiest Ramadan ever
- Complete 30-Day Fasting Dietitian Meal Plan
- 90 Dietitian Recipes from Around the World (Suhoor, Iftar, Smoothies & Soups!)
- Simplified portion-control strategies – enjoy ALL your favourite foods in the RIGHT amounts!
- The latest research on sleep, caffeine, starvation, sugar, hydration & more to help YOU feel your best and keep your energy levels high while fasting!
- Complete Fitness guide teaching you WHEN & HOW to exercise in Ramadan for ALL fitness levels!
- Plus even MORE
Founder - www.AmanahFitness.com
Amina is the creator of the 7-Day Amanah Jumpstart program and the Ramadan Reset, which have helped others lose weight, and get back on track with their healthy lifestyles.
Never Miss an Episode!
Did you enjoy this episode? Click below to subscribe to the podcast show for free on your smartphone via a range of apps for iOS and Android.