EP 27: Social Media & Its Effects on Spirituality – feat. Omar Usman
For many of us, social media makes up a large part of our lives. We spend countless hours scrolling through our apps, consuming information (some of which we shouldn’t be!), and can often find ourselves getting a little too carried away at times.
It’s no secret that improper use of social media can cause an inability to focus, a lack of productivity, a huge amount of wasted time, potential mental health issues, among many other things.
On the flip side, social media can also benefit us in a multitude of ways. So, how do we find the balance?
In this episode, we’re joined by Omar Usman – founder of the Fiqh of Social Media – who dives deep with us into the discussion of creating a healthy use of social media in our lives.
In particular, we discuss how an improper use of social media may have a negative effect on our worship and spirituality.
What You’ll Learn
- Who is Omar Usman, and what is the Fiqh of Social Media blog all about?
- What are some common side effects of uncontrollable phone addiction?
- How can social media negatively affect us in a spiritual sense?
- Can you still use social media and be a good, practising Muslim?
- Is it realistic to totally switch out of all social media apps?
- The importance of “white space” and the science behind it
- Do you always need a religious justification to use social media?
- What are Omar’s 4 practical steps for learning how to balance the use of social media?
This Week’s Ayah of the Day
Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children – like the example of a rain whose [resulting] plant growth pleases the tillers; then it dries and you see it turned yellow; then it becomes [scattered] debris. And in the Hereafter is severe punishment and forgiveness from Allah and approval. And what is the worldly life except the enjoyment of delusion. [Qur’an – 57:20]
Useful Links and Resources
- Omar Usman’s website
- Related Lecture: “Islamic Principles Of Friendship In The Social Media Age”
- Book Omar Usman for a speaking engagement
Download the ’40 Hadith on Social Media’ eBook
Omar’s Social Media Links
iTunes Review of the Week
“After listening to several episodes on some important topics for many hours, I find this podcast very relevant and useful because of the practical advice and motivational content which is convenient while travelling. Highly recommend this as a self-help audio content. Good substitute for music. You are what you listen to. Jazakallahu khairan.” – Mohsin99 (UK)
Founder - Fiqh of Social Media
Omar Usman is from Dallas, TX. He is a technology consultant and a certified leadership trainer and speaker through the John Maxwell team. He has worked professionally in a number of different capacities with Islamic organizations and businesses such as Qalam Institute, Bayyinah Institute, MuslimMatters, and Productive Muslim. He is a co-host of the Debt Free Muslims Podcast, and has spoken at Islamic centers, universities, and conventions all across North America on topics such as leadership, professional development, public speaking, Khateeb training, and the Fiqh of Social Media. He writes regularly at usmanconsulting.com and ibnabeeomar.com.