Deenspiration | Apr 5, 2020 | 0
EP 30: Healing with Words – The Art of Giving Advice (feat. Dear Chereen)
In this episode, we’re joined by therapist and life-coach, Chereen, from the popular Dear Chereen advice column.
Dear Chereen is an online safe space, known for being a haven for healing, inspiration, and support through their written work and regular Q&A sessions.
Having observed Chereen and her team conduct regular Q&A’s on their Instagram page, we wanted to speak with her to dig deeper into the art of giving advice; the do’s and don’ts, the who’s, what’s and the why’s.
As Muslims, and as humans, we are social beings by our very nature. We seek acceptance, love, comfort and value time with others. Naturally, we also experience periods of hardship and sorrow, and can find ourselves in need to sharing our feelings with others.
While on the receiving end, how do we ensure that we’re providing the best support we can and truly remain sincere?
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- In this episode, we cover the following:
- Chereen’s story and why she embarked on a journey of helping others
- Dear Chereen – what is it, how does it work, and how can we get involved?
- The importance of learning the art of giving advice correctly and sincerely
- What are some guidelines for providing support to those in desperate need?
- The importance of understanding everyone’s unique needs
- Do you need to be qualified in order to give advice, e.g. via online platforms?
- How the Prophet (s) used to help and support others
- Chereen’s recommended book on this topic
- A personal case by brother Usman on what happened when he applied these techniques
- How Chereen coped with the sudden death of her father
- The two most common topics / themes that Chereen notices among the questions she receives
Today’s Ayah of the Day
No disaster strikes except by permission of Allah . And whoever believes in Allah – He will guide his heart. And Allah is Knowing of all things. [Qur’an – 64:11]
Never Miss an Episode!
Did you enjoy this episode? Click below to subscribe to the podcast show for free on your smartphone via a range of apps for iOS and Android.
[overlay_content unique-id = '27135']