With a passion for reviving a balanced narrative on the role of Muslim women, Ustadha Alima launched the Muslimah’s Renaissance – a movement to rediscover the spirit of the prophetic and Qur’anic narrative in respect to gender.
Its ethos believes that if we cultivate communities where men and women are allies, we can decrease the rates of domestic violence, youth related crimes and gender based violence.
This is based on the verse:
“The believing men and believing women are allies of one another. They enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and establish prayer and give zakah and obey Allah and His Messenger. Those – Allah will have mercy upon them. Indeed, Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.” Sūrah At-Tawbah, 9:71
The project also aims to empower men to appreciate their roles and play a role in nurturing a healthy society with women as their allies in the truest sense; as an empowered, educated and spiritually aware woman can have a positive impact in society.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
In this episode, we cover the following:
- Who is Alima Ashfaq and what does she do?
- Who is Zahid Minhas and what does he do?
- Why is the conversation around Muslim women such a hot topic these days?
- How does Zahid support his wife Alima as she carries out her work, and why?
- Do we really need more education on the topic of gender roles in Islam and our society?
- How are women treated in today’s society, and how does this differ to the time of the Prophet (pbuh)?
- How have some cultural beliefs and practices belittled the rights of women?
- Some people believe Islamic is a misogynistic religion. Is this true, and why do they believe this?
- Why are Islamic events so male dominated. Shouldn’t women be allowed to speak publicly?
- What do the Qur’an and Sunnah really say about gender roles in Islam and society?
- What about the idea of feminism?
- Is there a lack of female scholarship among our communities today?
- Who are some examples of powerful women in our history?
- And some random facts about Alima & Zahid during our rapid fire round!
In partnership with Scottish Annual Conference – www.scotcon.co.uk
The project aims to serve the community with beneficial conferences and help reputable charities to fundraise for their aid projects. Each year the Scottish Annual Conference also hosts a community award ceremony to recognise the rising stars and those making a difference.
Never Miss an Episode!
Did you enjoy this episode? Click below to subscribe to the podcast show for free on your smartphone via a range of apps for iOS and Android.